Are you concerned about the hot summer? If your employees are working outside most hours of the day, it is important for you to make sure they don’t become dehydrated on the job. Some people are more sensitive to the heat and sun than others, but providing plenty of water on site can help reduce injuries and accidents. However, this is not the only precaution you should be taking.
Do you know how to identify a heat stress? What about sun burn? Becoming educated on how to reduce the risks of heat stress can help your employees remain safe and productive. Here are some safety issues you should review with your team regarding the hot weather this season:
- Heat stress can result in heat stroke, heat exhaustion, heat cramps, or heat rashes.
- Heat can increase the risk of injuries due to sweaty palms, fogged-up safety glasses, and dizziness.
- Treat a worker with heat stroke by calling 911, moving the sick worker to a shaded area, and cooling the worker with a wet cloth and fanning them.
- Try to schedule maintenance and repair jobs during cooler months and during the cooler part of the day. Also always provide cool water or liquids to workers.
- Provide rest periods in cool areas during the summer.
- Provide heat stress training, which should include information about worker risk, prevention, symptoms, treatment, and personal protective equipment.
- When working in the heat, make sure each employee has a buddy in case of emergencies.
- Check to ensure that your team is self-monitoring in the heat.
At Partner Agency, we hope these tips for the prevention of heat stress can help your workers remain productive this summer. As a business owner, you should always provide training for your company in an effort to keep them safe and healthy on the job. In addition, you should protect them with workers compensation in case a mishap, accident, or injury occurs. We can help you keep this policy in line with statutes in the state. When you contact us, we can go over your options and find a plan that covers your needs while keeping you within budget. Let us ensure that your insurance matches your company’s unique risks.